The Association for German Studies invites applications for travel scholarships of up to £300 or €350 each, intended to assist postgraduate members in travelling abroad to carry out research for their thesis or give a paper directly related to their area of study. The scholarships are intended to contribute to the costs of reasonable and necessary travel and/or accommodation. The deadlines for applications are 15th January 2017 and 15th August 2017. If unsuccessful the first time, applicants may re-submit their application in the following round. No further re-submissions will be accepted. The following criteria of eligibility apply:
- Applicants must have been a fully paid-up member of the AGS for at least three months by the time their application is submitted.
- Applicants must be registered at a university in Great Britain or Ireland for a postgraduate research degree on a topic related to German Studies,
- Members who have already received a travelling scholarship from the AGS will not normally be considered for a second award.
An application statement of no more than 250 words as a Word document/pdf should be emailed as an attachment to the Vice-President Professor Margaret Littler (firstname.lastname@example.org). It should contain the following details:
- The name and contact details of the applicant.
- The applicant’s thesis topic or title; the institution at which it is registered; and the full name of the supervisor.
- Details of the research or paper, its significance, and its relevance to the applicant’s thesis.
- The timing of the trip and a costed breakdown of the items for which the applicant is seeking support.
- Details of any other funding for the trip which the applicant has applied for or obtained. Applicants should note that the AGS encourages them also to seek funding from other bodies.
Applicants will be informed of the Committee’s decision within one month of the deadline. Successful applicants will receive their scholarship at that time.
Scholarship holders are also required to send a c.200-word report on their visit to the Treasurer (email@example.com), along with any relevant receipts or documentation, or copies thereof, within three months of completion of their trip. The report must also be submitted as an email attachment, and it will be uploaded to the AGS website, together (if possible) with any photos of illustrative material the scholarship holders have of their travel or event.