The Association for German Studies invites applications for travel grants of up to £500 (or the equivalent in euros), intended to assist current and recent postgraduate members in carrying out their research, e.g. for digitizing archive materials or other costs associated with primary research, or for travelling abroad, either to carry out research for the thesis or to give a paper directly related to their area of study. The grants are intended to contribute to the costs of reasonable and necessary travel and/or accommodation. The deadlines for applications are 15th January and 15th August each year. If unsuccessful the first time, applicants may re-submit their application in the following round. No further re-submissions for the same purpose will be accepted. The following criteria of eligibility apply:

  • Applicants must have been a fully paid-up member of the AGS for at least three months by the time their application is submitted.
  • Applicants must be registered at a university in Great Britain or Ireland for a postgraduate research degree on a topic related to German Studies, or be within twelve months of completion and in precarious employment
  • Members who have already received a scholarship from the AGS will not normally be considered for a second award.

An application statement of no more than 250 words as a Word document/pdf should be emailed as an attachment to the Vice-President Professor Anna Saunders ( It should contain the following details:

  • The name and contact details of the applicant.
  • The applicant’s thesis topic or title; the institution at which it is registered; and the full name of the supervisor(s).
  • Details of the research or paper, its significance, and its relevance to the applicant’s thesis.
  • The timing of the trip and a costed breakdown of the items for which the applicant is seeking support, with brief justification.
  • Details of any other funding for the trip which the applicant has applied for or obtained. Applicants should note that the AGS encourages them also to seek funding from other bodies.

Applicants will normally be informed of the Committee’s decision within one month of the deadline. Successful applicants will receive 90% of their scholarship at this time, with the remaining 10% being paid on receipt of a report and receipts (see below), in order to account for potential variability of prices and exchange rates.

Grant holders are also required to send a c.200-word report on their visit to the Vice-President (Anna Saunders and the Treasurer (Sarah Pogoda, along with any relevant receipts or documentation, or copies thereof, within three months of completion of their trip. The report must also be submitted as an email attachment, and it will be uploaded to the AGS website, together (if possible) with any photos of illustrative material the scholarship holders have of their travel or project.